Wait a minute! I know that designing Learning 2011 for 2,000 participants has a lot of varied design decisions - but Elliott Masie is no fashion expert :)
So, today I took a "wisdom of the crowds" decision here at the office, as our team designed the Learning 2011 Bag!
Loads of bags to choose from - in fact there are over 1,000 bags offered to event organizers - and you probably have a few of those in your closet at home. But, there are also a load of conference bags that are left in the hotel room before you take the flight home. So, we wanted to pick a bag that you would enjoy and use - both in Orlando and for some time afterwards.
Here are a few of our Bag Design Needs Assessment considerations for 2011:
- Tablet, iPad Friendly: Works well and protects the many tablets that we predict will be carried around at Learning 2011.
- Folds Up for No Baggage Fees Home: Can it be folded or scrunched up to fit into the suitcase and not trigger the unexpected $25 bag charges.
- Expands for More Stuff or Snacks!
- Logo (not too large) Friendly and Cool Look!
- Handle or Over the Shoulder Strap Option
Hmmm, just like Instructional Design, there are a load of factors and even the need for a hands-on Usability Test. So, all of our MASIE Center team members converged on my office as we put the finalist bags to the test. Filled them with tablets, Program Guides, books from the ASTD Bookstore and even an iPad AND Notebook.
Then, the negotiation with the various suppliers on price, imprinting and do we have the shoulder straps inside the bag or pre-attached.
My team made all the decisions. A few hints: Blue, Hip Appearance, Shoulder Strap Optional and.... Well, you will get to see this cool bag when you check in at Learning 2011 in just 49 days.